Dedicated to the preservation and heritage of vintage cars, trucks, tractors and
Herrs Machine started in 1969 by Lawrence and Cara in a 20’ by 30’ shop building
behind their home. They added on to it 3 times and finally built a new, larger building
in 1988 in North West Washington Kansas.
Here the company rebuilds, repairs and remanufactures hydrostatic transmissions,
diesel pumps and motors and torque amplifiers. They have customers nationwide.
Lawrence was raised on a farm west of Linn Kansas where his father built a farm repair
shop in 1929-1930. This is how he got his hands-on mechanical learning early in
his life where he built his first working small tractor when he was just 8 years
old. This tractor was gone for 50 years and now is in the building where it was
made. This repair shop was disassembled and moved to Washington and reassembled behind
the business. His dad put up a wind charger in 1937 that powered the lights in the
home and shop with batteries. Seventy years later, Herrs Machine installed a wind
turbine that powers part of their shop This was the first wind turbine in the Washington